Friday, January 15, 2010

Sexism.

Before I start this post, I just want to say that I'm not trying to offend anyone, though comments opposing and supporting are welcome! (but... it's not supposed to start an argument! :) ).

Anyways, I just wanted to get a chance to express my opinion on sexism because in English today we were talking about discrimination, and the conversation wandered over to sexism. It's interesting to me, the stance that people take on the subject of "sexism." The idea that men and women are "equal" is stretched to the limit! The conversation in the classroom became so extreme that people began saying things like "if you give birth, people think it automatically makes you a mother" and so I decided that I wanted to put my own word in! I started with "Well I think we'd all agree that guys and girls are different," and that's about as far as I got when my teacher interrupted me and said "NO, I don't think that that's necessarily true, they have a lot of similarities." and then she prevented me from saying anything else. So... I begin again!

I think we'd all agree that guys and girls are pretty different. By nature females and males are different! I think that we as a society are too concerned with "equality" in a way that doesn't quite make sense to me. It seems to be getting so extreme that we want to all be thought of in the same way. That's right I just said that! You may be thinking "that is not true", but if you think back to the worldly views on the subject, and you really see where these ideas are headed, this is what it boils down to! Men and women want to be seen in the same way. But if you think about it this way, do you want to be thought if in the same way that I am thought of? Would you want to be exactly the same as me? I feel like our world is becoming slightly "Utopiaish" in its thought process! People want everyone to be equal, but in too extreme a way! In English last year we read a story that reminds me of our world a little bit...The story involved a Utopian society that created "handicaps" so that no one would be smarter, more beautiful, or more talented in any way! Just as we have all been given specific talents and traits, as men and women on the Earth we are given specific qualities that are very different, but in no way unequal. This is not to say that a women can not become a mechanic, or men can not become nurses, because each of us has extreme potential to become anything that we want to be! I'm merely suggesting that men and women are different for a reason! Women were created to be more nurturing, they are naturally this way! (this is not saying that a man can not be caring!) Men are also created in a different way than women!

I am not sexist. Trust me! I believe that men and women have the same potential, and the same amount of ability, but I also believe that the more we try to "level the playing field" and get rid of those qualities that we have been so divinely given as men, or as women, the more restrictions we are placing on ourselves, and the less "freedom" we will enjoy! I believe that by making men and women "equal" we are robbing ourselves of our divine rights, and potential as sons and daughters of God. I firmly believe what is so strongly stated in The Family: A Proclamation to the World:

"Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose... By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide for the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation."

If believing in these principles makes me "sexist," then call me sexist!
But I refuse to surrender my potential to the ideas of the world!
And I will continue to be a woman, and I will not be ashamed that I want to be a mother when I grow up, and that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father!

That is all.

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

I just LOVE your blog posts! And I entirely agree with this! It's such an amazing privilege to be a woman! Haha Thanks Ray :)

Katie said...

I absolutely agree with you! I felt like in class she was undermining the value of being a mother! There IS a reason men are most often the provider and women are the nurturers but that doesn't make one better than the other!

Derek said...

well done.

Jessica C. Gilliland said...

Good job, Rachel. You are absolutely right, and you express yourself very well. I'm glad you could recognize when your teacher was wrong. Hopefully she didn't brainwash anyone with her dogma! Fight the power!!!!

Jacob said...

That...was awesome. Way to go. I loved it! That teacher is seriously messed up. STICK TO WHAT YOU BELIEVE!