Saturday, March 3, 2012

There's a Locket in my Pocket!

Have you ever read that book... there's a Wocket in my Pocket? It's a good book!  I didn't even know it existed until a few weeks ago!  Oh the things that preschool can teach you!

Anywho.
1st Semester of this year I had Jewelry I.  It was a good class and the teacher was really awesome!  She helped me take on this beasty project...or at least I thought it was insanely hard.  But... I learned a lot... and I'm proud to say that I eventually got over my fear of lighting the torch.

Here's my locket!  The design element was definitely new to me!  I know that seems silly to say...because honestly... it's just a bunch of simple leaf shapes and a little rose... but.  It was tough for me to come up with! :)

(I realized after I took these that there are little like... dusty thingies in here that I need to clean out... but... I'll do that later!)   I sculpted that rose out of little wax sheets and then my teacher cast it for me. 
This little locket is like my baby.  It took me SO many early mornings (Poor Jared had to come with me every morning for like... probably a month and a half!) and then when I finally finished it... I dropped it.  And it broke.  I was so furious.  I know, I know... but I was bringing it to an interview that day and I had to present it all broken!  Sad.  Then... I fixed it... and I took it home.  And I DROPPED IT again.  Oh my goodness.  I was really mad.  Again.  So I took it in... and fixed it!  And by then I thought I'd gotten pretty smart... so I took it to school the next day to polish it and I carried it around in a little tupperware (how do you spell that? Ah well.  You get the point!) wrapped in batting.  I polished it and then carried it around all day... and then after school... I KNOCKED it off of my desk.  And... I thought it'd be fine since I'd wrapped it up... I opened it up.  And it was broken.  I just sat there and looked at it for a minute.  And then... I cried!  Yep.  It's true.  I cried about a locket.  Silly silly Rachel.  I was just so ashamed that I couldn't keep it safe for one minute!  And so mad that I broke it again!  And... it was basically just ridiculous and I had another interview the day afterward!  But... I mustered up some courage... and went in the morning of the interview to fix it (I know... that poor teacher!!!!!)  and then CAREFULLY carried it to my car... and then later I CAREFULLY took it to the interview.  AND CAREFULLY showed it to them.  (P.S. I'm sorry to anyone that had to experience standing by me while I was holding it!  :) "Don't bump me!  Don't make me drop this!!") 
I think now it's going to live in a tupperware forever.  And I think I've decided I can't have nice things... because I break things WAY too easily!

 Anywho.  That's my little locket.  Which does NOT go in my pocket.  :)

2 comments:

BS said...

Oh my gosh, Rachel. This is BEAUTIFUL. I seriously would pay you to make me one. I actually kinda want one....the design is fresh, original, and just breathtaking.

Jacob said...

I was there! I remember you telling me about this when you started, and how you thought it would totally fail. Well, sorry to break it to you, but you were wrong. It looks so good!!!