Friday, February 27, 2009

More Developed Countries, vs. Less Developed Countries

So... I may be the only one who is amazed by these statistics, and this difference, but I was reading in my AP Human Geography book, and the chapter is on Development. Basically it is a chapter describing the development of the Less Developed Countries (LDC's) and the development of More Developed Countries (MDC's). And I've always been amazed at how some countries have so much opportunity and development while some countries have hardly any. It makes me so sad to think that I can be sitting here on my computer in my heated and air conditioned home, with tap water to drink, a toliet to use, and no major threat to my health. The difference is incredible. The part in my book that amazed me was this:
"The one-fith of the of the world's people living in MDCs consume five-sixths of the world's goods, wheras the 14 percent of the world's people who live in Africa consume about 1 percent. The United Nations recently placed the contrast in spending between MDCs and LDCs in picturesque terms: Americans spend more per year on cosmetics ($8 billion) than the cost of providing schools for the 2 billion in the world that need them ($6 billion), and Europeans spend more on ice cream ($11 billion) than the cost of providing a working toiliet to the 2 billion people currently without one at home ($9 billion). "
I am so amazed by that! Our country is so lucky, because it has so much, it is developed, and it has so many freedoms and opportunities. Again, we have the opportunity to have jobs, food, a grocery store, water, bathrooms, heating, airconditioning, we have good health care, and happy hearts and homes, while some people don't have the chance for any of that.

No comments: