Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Queen or Princess?

Note the Queen's Nostrils (sorry couldn't think of any other queens, I mean why would they have a picture of a QUEEN she's just the random gal :) ) oh... also note the Queen's EVILness
Note Cinderella's grace, SMILE, beauty and nostril.

So, I was walking along, and for some reason, my mind wandered, as minds often do... especially my mind :)... and I got to thinking about Princesses and Queens...
Where does the desire to be a princess come from? Little girls, are FASCINATED by them, DRESSING UP as them, and WISHING that they were them. What makes them so stinkin' appealing though? Maybe it's because movies are only made about princesses, maybe it's because the movies include gorgeously out of proportion girls, that fall in love with a prince. It's all so stinkin' romantic! FEW girls want to be queens however, the only reason THEY want to be a queen is for power reasons... I'm sure we've ALL met a power hungry little girl! :D

But, WHY are the queens always just random people that stand in the background? Their role in a princess story, is basically to shout for joy when their daughter gets married. The thing that I find strange however, is that ONE of the elements that makes being a princess seem more desirable is that they all live HAPPILY ever after, with their handsome prince. That's the best part of the story, THEY ACHIEVE THE DREAM!!! Isn't it strange how, the "Happily Ever After" that the QUEEN IS LIVING (we assume) in the background suddenly becomes undesirable. Strange stuff. Does that mean that now that Cinderella has found her prince and she's married, she's suddenly Queen Cinderella and we throw her out, and make a movie about her daughter? I DON'T think that's right, I want to know about her Happily Ever After, then maybe I'll want to be a Queen!
On ANOTHER note in REAL life, I'm slightly EXTREMELY ignorant about Queens and Princesses and such... but it seems to ME like the QUEEN is more respected in real life... I don't know...


So ideally if we pretend that the queen is LIVING her Happily Ever After, and all is well, and the PRINCESS is searching for her Happily Ever After, who would we rather be!?

It's up to you, would you rather be a QUEEN or a PRINCESS??? Leave comments please!!!
(also, it would be EXTREMELY interesting if you're a guy, and you take it ALL from the Princes perspective, and the KINGS perspective!) Wow, I love how this is something that I think is interesting...

6 comments:

jCroft(y) said...

Mmkay. First of all, the Disney princesses bug me, specifically Ariel. What a dummy that girl is! She just goes from her oppressive father (King Triton) to a ditsy, shallow guy (Prince Whatever) who doesn't know what her voice sounds like.

Second of all, Maleficent (the queen from Sleeping Beauty) is AWESOME. She knows exactly how to get what she wants, and she works for herself. That's more than the princesses can say. Plus, she's hot. Seriously, she has GREAT eyebrows.

I would much rather be the queen than the princess. The princess is usually fluttering through life with little purpose until she finds some random prince who pops out of the woods and kisses her. The queen, on the other hand, can do what she wants, and she lives in a rockin' castle.

P.S. - great post. Funny, yet poignant. Woot.

Rach said...

I agree, completely! I think it would be WAY better to be a queen... princesses are so helpless...

Robin Hood said...

malefocent isn't a queen, she's the evil witch. if she was the queen, then she'd be aurora's mother! silly silly you ;)

but yeah princesses are more ideal...they're young and adventurous and wonderful and kind and innocent...
plus there's the whole adventure of "falling in love" and, of course, rebelling against your wonderful kingly and queenish parents. it's where the excitement is. so even if it's not as practical as the happily ever after queen story, it makes for a better movie.

and i think in all the cinderella movies after she and the prince live in the castle together, she's never recognized as a queen. she's still princess cinderella.

BS said...

Hmmm....I kinda agree with Jessica on this one. As far as Disney goes, most of the princesses are sissies. HOWEVER, there ARE Disney princesses that are much more independent; Mulan for example. Yes, she falls in love, but she can dish out a butt-whooping.

Also, there is Belle. She is smart (the book reading), understanding (she falls for a freaking beast people!!), and she can hold her own (well..kinda. She at least TRIES to fight the wolves, she doesn't just stand there like most princesses do when there is danger present)

Anyway...as far as my comments go, I think it doesn't depend on queen or princess. I think it depends on personality type. For instance, the queen on Swan Princess. While she is FREAKING HILARIOUS, she is a sissy. But, like you said, the queen in Snow White kicks trash.

So...definitely depends on the personality, not the title.

Nathan said...

I guess I would be deemed a Queen: I found my prince, we got married and are living our happily ever after. I think happily ever after is contingent upon the choices we make in life (I could easily pull out a string of gospel comparisons here). I will live a "happily ever after" as a queen as long as Nathan and I continue to make the kind of choices that will bring our family true happiness. I guess what I'm getting at is that you have to be a princess before you can be the queen. Princesses represent the youth of our society, obviously. There's the rebellion, finding one's own identity, finding/learning about love, learning about the things of the world, experimentation blah blah blah...you get the point. The princesses in the stories, whether they are dumb, ditsy, intelligent or brave, need to experience certain things in their lives to find their "happily ever after". When we witness the queens in the stories we see them at a time of crisis in which their daughter is rebelling or something or other. The impression we can so easily conceive is that they aren't having their "happily ever after" after all. Not true. It's just one of those hard times in life that, if we persist, we'll get through and find more happiness. Fairy tales in general represent overcoming evil to find the good (happiness). These stories are about the princesses so the queen doesn't always have a pivotal or "happy" role because, well, she's a mother worrying about her child. Get it? I felt like a rambled a lot. I don't know if I was very coherent but it was an interesting thing to think about.

Sheena said...

Queens have to live in the real world of putting up with their husbands while they attempt to rule a kingdom. No one wants a real life story from a Disney perspective.

For example Ariel's mom was killed. Aurora's mom had her daughter removed from her for years and probably sunk into a massive depression. Snow White, Jasmine, and Cinderella's moms were never in the picture (maybe they died in child birth or ran away with another man). Who wants to focus on all of that "uplifting" stuff? No one. Hence why we enjoy the story of the princess.

Princesses on the other hand have a spirit about them of adventure, love, and curiosity that we all strive to have more of in our lives. So who wouldn't want to be a princess? Also, princesses in all of the sequels don't become queens....they stay princesses their whole lives. Not realistic, but still fun. :)