


Well... guess what! This recipe is GLUTEN FREE!
Well... what is that??? It means there is no flour, because gluten (the thing that makes bread so light and springy, and stuff...) is in flour! So... it's a bit tricky... but... That's okay!
But... here is the recipe... I hope nobody gets mad at me, but it's from my FAVORITE gluten free cookbook... this is like THE BEST gluten free cookbook I have EVER seen...
"You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free"
Here it is:
"Shortcake, Strawberry - Corn-based
This is a slightly sweet version of our traditional biscuits, teamed with strawberries, because they are just so good.
Biscuits:
1/4 pound (1/2 cup) butter
1 1/3 cups cornstarch, 165 grams
1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
Topping:
1 pound strawberries
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
Whipped Cream (I'm not sure if this is gluten free or not... but they have a recipe for it in the book that definitely is.)
-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, blend all the ingredients for the biscuits except the milk and vinegar. Add milk and vinegar, and mix well. The dough will be quite fragile. Pat the dough out on the prepared baking sheet to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into nine square biscuits and separate with the side of a knife.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the biscuits begin to brown.
- Wash and slice the berries. Sprinkle with a little sugar if they are not sweet.
- In individual serving dishes, top each biscuit with the fruit, and then the whipped cream (I did powdered sugar... because... I didn't have whipped cream)
Serves 9"
So anyways... if you're gluten free... or cooking for someone that is, check out this book... it is SO amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment