Me and my musical friend... (we seem to be always beside each other when it comes to musicals... anywho)... my and my musical friend Katie sometimes feel out of place when it comes to theater? Why you may ask? Welllll... during rehearsal... we sit there and learn our music, and EVERYONE else... is exploding, granted there have been a few funny moments where I've laughed, but not EVERYTHING is funny... Example:
This past Friday we were learning music, and one of the directors was telling us about how we NEEDED to wear appropriate footwear to go on the stage so we wouldn't get stabbed in the foot. He said "someone is going to forget and bring bad shoes, who's going to bet against me." This kid said he would, but then he changed his mind, he had only been kidding and he said "Maybe if they were my band kids I would have"... and everyone in the room it seems, besides me and Katie started BOOING? Yes that's right, it's random... but they booed. Then the girl that was playing the piano for us messed up, apologized, and the choir director said "it's okay you're doing great", suddenly there is thunderous applause!... Then later laughter, and more laughter. It's as if everyone is explosive, although I can't say that much about explosive personalities, since I'm the same way... anyways... moral of the story: "theater people are weird"
But it's been really fun, and I accept their weirdness :)
Another random story, for those of you who are still reading... so theater class right? (wait a minute that means I'm a theater person and I'm weird!) We had to perform a scene that we wrote, involving your character for your monologue, and someone else's character from their monologue, crossing paths in twenty years... so... our scene ended up being... My character talking to her psychiatrist, who is ALSO the psychiatrist of a crazy nun. It was a hard scene! Even though we wrote it, for some reason I couldn't GRASP how it was supposed to be said... hmm... that's weird. Anywho, we performed it, it wasn't a majorly intense thing. But I wish I could simply FEEL what the character is feeling. It's weird because I have INSANE character attachment. As soon as I meet a character that seems good, I love them forever. EXAMPLE: Finding Nemo... first time I saw it I cried when Coral died... yes it's sad! But with that kind of Character Attachment in my soul, why CAN'T I portray a character. AUGH... it's frustrating!
4 comments:
Ah, theatre people... I feel like my roommates and I were having a discussion on this very thing just last night.
As far as character portrayal goes, just forget that you "can't" portray a character. Just pretend that you can, and things will build from there.
hm, I would say you are very explosive as demonstrated even in your blog posts by your use of CAPITALS all the time
Rachel,
I think many of the "explosive" moments come from stereotype jokes at Hillcrest...you might get them later on...
...
actually...just stick with the "theater people are weird" :)
As for creating a character, THINK like your character. Don't think like you.
I only just barely learned that, and I thought I'd pass it along to a brilliant actress such as yourself (because no one told ME in high school!)
Good luck! You'll do great. :)
1. That's really weird. If you ever get those jokes, you'll have to explain them to me. I don't get them either.
2. I get really into a character too, and I know what you mean. I hate it when the character feels distant and you can't get it. GRRRR! Anywho, good luck with your whole class thingy.........yeah.
Post a Comment